Mon / Tue, Sep 3 -4. Penetanguishene. Had a generator issue during the night so decided to head back over to one of the bigger towns across the bay to have it serviced. Got some referrals from our 5 boats friends and off we went. Pulled into Beacon Bay Marina for a night’s stay. Dinghied across the bay to the town dock of Penetanguishene (even tougher to say then spell) and had a bite at an okay place. In morning, we headed up the bay to Minty’s Marine where they would be checking out our generator. A couple of hours of work (impeller, belt and sensor) and we were on our way. Since it was later in the day, we opted to go back to our anchorage at McCabe’s Rock on Beausoleil so we could dinghy to the general store for a few provisions then head out early. Following the Labor Day weekend, the store was closed for 3 days so no luck in provisions. On a positive, there were hardly any boats near our anchorage. Enjoyed another visit from Mr. Beaver and hearing the wail of the Loons. If you have never heard the wail of the Loons, we encourage you to Google it. To hear the one mate calling “where are you?” and the other responding “I’m over here” is simply magnificent.


Wed, Sep 5. Beckwith Island. We discussed our many options for our next stop, and decided on Beckwith or Hope Island. Beckwith turned out to be the best option due to the protection from the winds. Beckwith Island is described as the Caribbean of Canada. Long sandy beach and crystal clear water. Late in the afternoon, we dinghied over to the beach and spent a couple of hours wading in the water. Pretty chilly but eventually you get used to it. The wind shifted during the night from NW to NNE and our anchorage was no longer protected. Bumpy and noisy most the night so sleeping was not ideal.


Thur, Sep 6. Starvation Bay. Decided to head out early to cross the 14 miles across the bay. Bumpy but not terrible and once we got close to shore, we had protection from land. Originally intended to anchor in a cove called Wani Bay but surprisingly it was full of boats. We didn’t expect this since the locals told us that now that it was after Labor Day we wouldn’t see many boats. So after consulting the charts, we found another (and better) anchorage all to ourselves and no cottages nearby. Enjoyed a relaxing day and night on the hook watching the Loons, an otter, and Osprey. Took a long dinghy ride up to see Henry’s Fish Restaurant, the San Souci Marina for some provisions and Twelve Mile Bay meandering between the granite islands. It’s been pretty chilly here at night with temps in the low 60’s so no need for air conditioning.


Fri / Sat, Sep 7 – 8. Henry’s Fish Restaurant – San Souci. Weighed anchor in morning and headed to Frying Pan Island (San Souci) to dock at the iconic Henry’s Fish Camp. The only way to get to Henry’s is either by boat or by seaplane (called float planes here). A favorite of not only locals and Loopers but also all sorts of visitors that book the Fly & Dine seaplane tour out of Parry Sound. The restaurant has new owners as of this past May, Ted & Rachel, and the locals state that the food is even better; they are known for their fish & chips (Pickerel). We arrived thinking we would have lunch but found that they wouldn’t be open until 4:00 pm. (after Labor Day they are only open on weekends). The restaurant has quite a few docks with power and although we were the first ones there, we had at least 6 boats staying the night for the two nights we were here. The docks filled up Saturday and Sunday with boats and seaplanes coming in for lunch and dinner. Our new friends, Indy and Nancy, informed us that they would be heading our way and staying Saturday night so we opted to stay another night. They brought along their good friends, Paul & Kathy, and we enjoyed a great afternoon and evening (bundled up in sweat shirts!). I don’t think the new owners were expecting so many guests after Labor Day and as a result ran out of quite a few menu items including their world famous Pickerel. We were fortunate to have had it Friday evening but we all had to settle for the Perch or Whitefish on Saturday evening which was still very good. Temp tonight high 40’s. Burrrr.

On a humorous note, behind one of the buildings we noted what appeared to be a dog or wolf skin drying out on a sawhorse (photo). It was creepy so we asked about it and were told that it is a coyote put there specifically to discourage the geese from landing in the yard. We also watched a snake swim by and actually try to board our boat at the swim platform and saw our first mink run by. The wildlife here is interesting.


Sun, Sep 9. Parry Sound. Since the weather was to turn windy and rainy, we opted to head to the Big Sound Marina in Parry Sound as opposed to anchoring out. We also were in need of provisions and this is a good stop. The marina is next to the seaplane docks so we have enjoyed watching them take off and land and have signed up to do the 30,000 island seaplane tour on Tuesday morning when the weather improves. Enjoyed a late lunch at Boston’s Pizza (not just pizza is their slogan) and walked over to the seaplane docks and chatted with the owner of Georgian Bay Air. They have a great little gift shop and we purchased an Inukshuk statute. We have been fascinated by these rock statutes on many of the islands we pass and even included a photo of one in our last post. Our friend, Sue Molnar, who is from this area was the one that informed us what these rock formations were called and their meaning. They are human made stone landmarks which were originally used for navigation markers, travel routes, fishing places, camps, etc. in the Arctic, Alaska, and Greenland. But they are very popular here in Canada as we see them everywhere so bought a memento for ourselves. The red headed boy in photo caught a 2′ Pike right off the lake wall.


Well, that wraps up another great week on our great adventure. Stayed tuned for details about our seaplane tour!